The Large Cap Growth strategy seeks to produce long-term, excess returns vs. the Russell 1000 Growth Index on a risk-adjusted basis over a full market cycle (at least 5 years) through bottom-up stock selection
Russell 1000 Growth Index
- Active management with a long-term, private equity approach to investing
- Seven-step research framework focuses on quality, growth and valuation
- High-conviction portfolio of typically 30 to 40 stocks
- Low turnover: 12.6% annualized since inception 7/1/2006*
- High active share: typically greater than 80%**
- Top 10 holdings: typically 40% - 50%
- Up to 20% holdings in ADRs
- Looks to identify high-quality companies–those with difficult-to-replicate business models
- Team must view cash flow growth as sustainable and profitable
- Stock values are modeled and regularly updated based on our four valuation scenarios: Best, Base, Bear and Worst
- Seeks to create a margin of safety by investing only when company is selling meaningfully below the team’s estimate of intrinsic value
- Active risk management defines risk as a permanent loss of capital, not tracking error or short-term relative underperformance
- Bottom-up stock selection drives excess returns
*As of December 31, 2022.
**Active share indicates the proportion of the portfolio’s holdings (by market value) that are different than the benchmark. A higher active share indicates a larger difference between the benchmark and the portfolio.
The portfolio manager for the Large Cap Growth Composite joined Loomis Sayles on May 19, 2010, and performance prior to that date was achieved at his prior firm.
The Large Cap Growth Composite includes all discretionary accounts with market values greater than $1 million managed by Loomis Sayles that seek to produce long-term excess returns at or below benchmark risk over a full market cycle relative to the Russell 1000 Growth Index and generally within the market capitalization range of the Index. As of 6/1/2013 the Composite was redefined to include commingled vehicles, previously only separate accounts were included. The Composite inception date is July 1, 2006. The Composite was created in 2010.